Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Adjectives Used as Nouns



For example, as an alternative to saying deaf people, we can simply say the deaf. This means ALL deaf people. Instead of saying poor people, we can say the poor to mean ALL poor people.

Note that we always use a definite article (the) in these cases.
INCORRECT: She likes to feed the poors.
CORRECT    : She likes to feed the poor

INCORRECT: He is working for
the blinds.
CORRECT    : He is working for the blind.
Expressions like the poorthe blindthe deafthe rich, etc. are always plural. We don’t have to make their plural forms by adding -s.

Here are some examples in sentences:
• The local library has facilities such as ramps and low tables for the disabled.
• A new support centre has opened for the unemployed.
• The film has subtitles for the hard of hearing. (people with hearing difficulties)
• The recession, as is always the case, has hit the poor very hard.
• The bus service is free for the elderly.

Also notice that these nouns are plural, so we use a plural verb:
• The rich are better off after the tax reforms.
• The injured were taken to a nearby hospital.
• The old and sick are advised to stay at home when pollution levels increase.


Thank Vs. Thanks


Thank (Verb).
-I thank you for loving me.
-You've to thank her, she's helped you.
-Just relax, no need to thank me.
Thank you (Noun).
-She's so arrogant, I didn't even get a thank you after helping her.
Thank you (Adjective).
-Finally, she sent me a thank you note yesterday.
Thanks (Noun).
-They have helped us. At least, give them our thanks.
Thank you (Formal).
-Thank you for approving me.
Thanks (Informal).
-Thanks for approving me.

Thanks to (Preposition) means 'Because of'.
-Thanks to you, I can be like this.
(Terima kasih, saya bisa menjadi seperti ini karena anda/Terima kasih, karena anda, saya bisa menjadi seperti ini).


5 Ways to Say THANK YOU
Do you sometimes feel grateful for what you have or what someone has done for you? Do you know how to express your gratitude to the people around you? Do you want to be able to say “thank you” in more than just one way?
Here are 5 ways to say it, depending on the situation.
1. “I can’t thank you enough”
This is a very polite and useful phrase. It can be used when someone has done a favor for you or has helped you. It can also be used when there is some kind of emergency and someone has helped keep you safe and out of danger. This term can have a sense of urgency.
Other ways to say it:
• You saved my son. I can’t thank you enough.
• We really needed your help. I can’t thank you enough.
• Your help made all the difference. I can’t thank you enough.
2. “I would like to thank you” or “I want to thank you”
These are both very polite and deliberate ways of saying thank you. This could be used when someone does a favor for you and when you want to make your gratitude clear to them.
Other ways to say it:
• What you have done is very kind. I really want to thank you.
• I’d like to say thank you for what you have done.
3. “I really appreciate this”
This is another polite way to show your gratitude; you “appreciate” something or someone. It means that you value what they have done for you. This can be used when your colleague takes over your work while you are out sick or when your neighbor picks up your mail for you and brings it to your home. It can be used in a lot of different situations.
Other ways to say it:
• I want you to know that I really appreciate this.
• I am really appreciative of this.
4. “I’m grateful for your help”
This phrase is used less commonly but it’s still useful and polite. This could be used when someone does something rather significant for you.
Other ways to say it:
• I want to express my gratitude for your help.
• I would like to let you know that I am grateful for your help.
5.  “Thanks a lot”
This can be used for more casual, everyday situations. Maybe someone lets you have their seat on the bus or when someone holds the door for you, or maybe a friend buys you a coffee. Just simple things people do for you, but still they deserve your thankfulness.
Other ways to say it:
• Thanks.
• Thank you.
• Hey, thanks!
• Thanks a bunch.
• I owe you one!
You don’t get to hear a simple thank you very often these days. It has become a rare thing to hear. Sadly (some) kids don’t say the five magic words anymore;“please,” “thank you,” “you’re welcome,” “excuse me,” and “I’m sorry.” My mom taught me if you want something, you say “please.” If someone gives you something, you say “thank you.” When someone says “thank you,” you say “you’re welcome.” If you hurt someone’s feelings you say “I’m sorry.” And, if you bump into someone, you say “excuse me.” I also teach these things to my little boy. I want him to become a kind, caring, and respectful person. Love ya, my little bugger!😉

No comments:

Post a Comment