Saturday, June 13, 2015

Double Negative is a Big No-No



Double negative?? What’s a double negative?
Double negative sentence is a confusing and grammatically incorrect sentence that contains two negatives in the same clause.
Incorrect: I don’t have no money.
Correct   : I don’t have any money.
Correct   : I have no money.
Note: Negatives in two different clauses in the same sentence cause no problem.
Example:
• A person who doesn’t have love can’t be truly happy.
• I don’t know why he isn’t here.
Words such as “no” and “not” are obvious negations. However, there are some negations that are not as obvious, and are thus considered subtle negatives. Be careful when using the following adverbs implying negation:
• Hardly
• Scarcely
• Barely
Sentences using these words are at a greater risk of being combined with another negation because they are not as obvious. Consider the following examples:
Double Negative: I hardly have none.
Correction            : I hardly have any.
Double Negative: The football players never scarcely had personal time.
Correction            : The football players scarcely had personal time.
Double Negative: I barely got no sleep last night.
Correction            : I barely got any sleep last night.
Try this exercise: Correct the following sentences.
1. He doesn’t like neither coffee nor tea.
2. I can’t hardly hear the radio. Could you turn it up?
3. The beach was deserted. We couldn’t see nothing but sand.
4. I can’t never understand him.
5. Methods of horse training haven’t barely changed at all in the last eight centuries.


JAIL VS. PRISON

jail is a local lock-up for holding people awaiting local court appearances or serving time on local misdemeanor charges or sentences of less than one year. It is allowed to hold prisoners for up to one year. Any sentence over a year must be served in a prison.
The most notable difference is that prison inmates have been tried and convicted of crimes, while those in jail may be waiting for a trial. A prison is under the jurisdiction of either federal or state, while the jail holds people accused under federal, state, county and/or city laws. A jail holds inmates from two days to a year only.
That’s the difference between a jail and prison in the US. However, in Indonesia, there isn’t much of a difference between them. If we compare the condition between Indonesia’s prison with the America’s, there’s a huge difference. I said HUGE!

Inside Indonesia's Female Cell
Inside Indonesia’s Female Cell
Oh, man! I don’t know how the inmates survive living in the hellhole – that’s how the foreign inmates called Indonesia’s prison – for a very long time. They live in an overcrowded condition – packed like sardines, bad sanitation and health care.
If you want a private cell – you don’t want to share cell, or if you want to have extra food, you have to pay for those things and I’m telling you they’re not cheap. If you want to get along with the other inmates, pack yourself with cigarettes. That’ll help you get to know people.

Cipinang Penitentiary, Jakarta
Cipinang Penitentiary, Jakarta
I had a relative who was sent to prison for drug charges. She was sentenced 20 years, but released on good behavior after 10 years serving. I visited her inside a few times and saw these conditions with my own eyes. And I know her mother paid a great deal of money to make sure she’s OK inside.
Anyway, last words from me stay away from drugs or any criminal activity if you don’t want to waste your life living in a hellhole called prison.

No comments:

Post a Comment