Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Games for learning English: Fruit and Vegetables





Confusing Words: Journey, Travel, and Trip



I’m planning a travel to the US.
I’m planning to travel to the US.
I’m planning a trip to the US
Why is the first sentence incorrect? Why is to travel anda trip correct in the second and third sentence?
For today’s lesson you’re going to learn some confusing words: JOURNEY, TRAVEL, and TRIP and at the end of the lesson I’m going to give you a series of quizzes related to this lesson. So let’s have a look at these examples:
JOURNEY
• He was planning for a four-week trip to Indonesia.
• They went on a trip to Africa.
We use JOURNEY as a noun, meaning a trip (a long distance trip) from one place to another; an expedition.
TRAVEL
• How often do you travel abroad?
• The train was  travelling at about 100 miles an hour.
We use TRAVEL as a verb to mean to go from one place to another on a trip, usually over a long distance.
TRIP
• I met my husband on a trip to Bali.
• Alejandro had to make a number of business trips to New York.
We use TRIP as a noun, meaning a travel from one place to another, usually for business or pleasure.
TRIP over
• He tripped over the child.
• I tripped over the kerb and broke my nose.
TRIP over is a verb (phrasal verb), meaning to fall because you hit an obstacle.
Check out this video lesson from Espresso English.

No comments:

Post a Comment