Saturday, June 6, 2015

How to Use the Phrase "the Internet" Correctly



I found many of the English learners use the phrase “the Internet” incorrectly, especially in the use of the prepositions. They don’t know whether to use on or in with this phrase. Normally we use on with the phrase“the Internet” or any social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, Yahoo, etc.

Banyak orang Indonesia menterjemahkan kalimat "Apakah kamu punya WhatsApp?" ke dalam bahasa Inggris "Do you have WhatsApp?" Padahal orang bule gak ngomong gitu. They say "Are you on WhatsApp?" Ini adalah kesalahan yang sering saya temui. Grammatically speaking, struktur kalimatnya sih gak salah, but colloquially, it's incorrect. Rada aneh dengarnya karena native English speakers don't say it that way.

Today you’re going to learn how to use the phrase “the Internet” correctly, and I hope next time, I won’t see you write “I learn English with Learn English with Demi in the Internet” anymore.
CORRECT    : I’m on the Internet. (OR: I’m on the Net.)
INCORRECT: I'm in the Internet.


CORRECT    : I surf the Internet. (OR: I surf the Net.)
INCORRECT: I surf in the Internet.


CORRECT    : You’ll find the information on the Internet.
INCORRECT: You’ll find the information in the Internet.


CORRECT    : I took the information straight off the Internet.
INCORRECT: I took the information on the Internet.


CORRECT    : In our hotel, all rooms have access to the Internet.
INCORRECT: In our hotel, all rooms have access to Internet.


CORRECT    : I use the Internet.
INCORRECT: I use internet.


CORRECT    : You can buy the book over the Internet.
INCORRECT: You can buy the book in the Internet.


• I’m online.
• I’m on Facebook
• I’m on WhatsApp
• We’re chatting in the chat room on Yahoo.
• The word Internet is often written in capital letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment