Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Phrase of the day: What's cooking?

Native English speakers use this expression What’s cooking?” in a casual way to ask someone what’s happening, what’s going on or what someone is planning.

Examples:
• What’s cooking at your house? I just saw a cop came into your house.
• Hey, Julie! What’s cooking?
PhotoGrid_1442880461982


What’s the catch?” = Apa imbalannya?

When someone did something for you and you feel like he wants something in return, you can say “What’s the catch?”
A: I brought you a bacon tart. = Saya bawain kamu tart bacon.
B: Hmm.. What’s the catch? = Hmm… Apa imbalannya nih?
A: Nothing. = Gak ada kok.
You can also say What’s in it for me?” to mean “What will I get?” or “Will I get paid?” for something you did.




Be about + to-infinitive refers to arranged actions that happen in the immediate future. It is often used with“just”.

Examples:
• Hurry up! The ceremony is about to begin!
• Do you have a minute? – I’m sorry, I’m just about to leave.

Worry about is a verb-preposition combination that needs a gerund after it. The same as “think about”.
Examples:
• I worry about having children and not being able to raise them well.
• Do you ever think about getting married and having children?
Be about and Worry about


No comments:

Post a Comment