Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Apologizing / Tall or High


To apologize is to tell someone that you are sorry for having done something that caused them inconvenience or unhappiness.
Examples:
• I’d like to apologize for my trouble making.
• I must apologize to Julie for my late arrival.
• Trains may be subject to delay on the southern line. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Here are some expressions you can use to make and respond to apologies:
Making apologies:
• I do apologize for…
• I must apologize for…
• I’d like to apologize for…
• I apologize for…
• I’m sorry for…
• I shouldn’t have…
• It’s all my fault.
• I’m ashamed of…
• Please forgive me.
• Please forgive me for my…
• I’m terribly sorry for…
• Please accept my apologies for…
Accepting apologies:
• That’s all right.
• Never mind.
• It doesn’t matter.
• Don’t worry about it.
• Don’t mention it.
• That’s OK.
• I quite understand.
• You couldn’t help it.
• Forget about it.
• Don’t worry about it.
• No harm done.
Remember:
You shouldn’t feel sorry and ask for apology for making mistakes in learning English (speaking or writing). Don’t say: “I’m sorry for my English. I’m still weak.” Or “I’m sorry, my English is not good.” There is no need to apologize for that. We are all at different stages of learning. Please hold your head high and say something like, “English is not my first language, but I am learning something new each day. One day soon, I will reach my goal.”



Tall or High – What’s the difference?



High or tall?
TALL is the opposite of SHORT.
We use tall to say that something is above average height (of people, buildings . . .)
We say:
a  tall man
a short man
the tallest tower in France
a tall bookcase
A : How tall are you?
B : I am five feet, six inches tall.
HIGH is the opposite of LOW.
High means having a large distance from top to bottom or a long way above the ground. We often use high when we speak about inanimate things (non-living things).
We say:
high jump
high speed
high temperature
high wind
high opinion
high interest
high principles
Examples in sentences:
• It’s high time we left. (Use simple past form with ‘it’s high time’ or ‘it’s time’)
• The airship flies high among the clouds .
• The plane flies low over the house.
• The sun is high in the sky.
• The tall building rises high in the sky .
• The child is not tall enough to reach the highest shelf .
• That tall boy can jump over a high wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment